History of Putnam, New York  and the Adirondacks

 

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

    

HISTORICAL PUTNAM

Reported by D. R. March

     In the Spring of 1609, Samuel Champlain arrived to explore the Champlain Valley.  Champlain found the Huron tribe warring with the Iroquois of the Five Nations near the present day Town of Putnam.  Champlain joined the French and the Hurons to battle the Iroquois.  It is said (outside the doubtful accounting of Jean Verrazzani in the harbor of NY in 1822) to be the first time the white man was set in the Empire State.  The Hurons and the French continued their intermittent struggles through the 17th century.

   When the wars ebbed, Putnam became a theatre of interest, and peace was enjoyed until 1744 when war was declared by the French against England.  The King George’s war ended by treaty in 1748.  Thereafter, the French fortified their lines further up the Champlain Valley.  General William Johnson was joined by Major Rogers of New Hampshire and Captain Israel Putman of Connecticut.  Rogers and Putnam, with their small forces, crossed over the mountains down to Lake George to Blairs Bay to begin their mark.

     Putman lands was originally granted to provincial troops for services in the French and Indian wars, respectfully knows as the Huttons Bush and Turners Patent.  The first settler was Joseph Williams, who purchased the Turner’s tract; later creditors claimed many portions.  The next settler and permanent one was William Hutton who came in 1784 settling on the shores of Lake Champlain.  Descendants are still living on the same land.

 

Today’s Putnam

     It is now 100 plus years since the town was first settled by Willam Hutton, and the same landscape greets the pioneer’s eye.  With the changes of families, the change of habits and customs and social life of the community.  A small community of 645 full time residence.  Second homeowners enjoy both the shores of Lake George and Lake Champlain.  They enjoy the tranquility and peace of the rolling meadows and hills.  Putnam is the northern most town of Washington County, New York with a narrow peninsular between Lake George and Lake Champlain.  It is about 7 miles long comprising of 19,279 acres.

     On the westerly side is a mountain range called Defiance.  Anthony’s Nose, a bold promontory, rising almost perpendicularly from the waters of the lake, holds near the top a perfect profile of an Indian’s face which remains unchanged looking like a mighty god that has witnessed intermitting wars of the red man and the struggles of the white man.  At the foot of this ledge is a large cave in which tradition says are hidden untold millions.  While mineral veins do flow through the mountains but have never been worked, the lore of the area is found rich in history, rich soils, majestic lakes, and tranquil living. 

 

Communities and locations in Putnam

  • Blairs Bay -- A bay on Lake George.
  • Camp Adirondack -- A location on Lake George south of Glenburnie.
  • Glenburnie -- A hamlet on Lake George at Blairs Bay.
  • Mill Bay -- A bay on Lake George.
  • Putnam -- The hamlet of Putnam on Route 22.
  • Putnam Station -- A hamlet southeast of Putnam village by Mill Bay.

Putnam, Fort Ann and Fort Ann enjoy the beautiful shores on Lake George.  If you’d like to explored these areas, call our Gore Mtn. regional office at 518.251.2194 or our Greater Glens Falls regional office at 518.761.7900. Any ACHR agent will be available to assist you.  Visit: http://www.adirondackcountryhomes.com

 

Click Here to Return to History Page

- Home -